Topics covered in Nursery SummerTerm 2018
The work of the Nursery aims to foster self-confidence, self-esteem and an eagerness to learn while giving the children a degree of choice, responsibility and independence.
The areas include:-
- book corner and quiet area
- construction and model making area
- sand play area
- malleable area
- water play
- home play and imaginative and role play
- art and creative area
- design and building space with wooden 3D blocks and construction toys.
- writing area for the beginnings of writing with different materials
- listening area, where children can listen to taped stories, music, poems and songs
- reading area – with books, poems and interest table to encourage children to read
- computer area
- outdoor activity area where the children can become involved in larger games and investigate objects and materials by using all their senses as appropriate, and identifying features of living things, objects and events they observe. When the children are outside they have access to the same areas of the curriculum that are inside the nursery as mentioned.
- Describe main story settings, events and characters.
- Recognise familiar words and signs such as our name and advertising logos.
- Link some sounds to letters.
- Hear and say initial sounds in words.
- Give meaning to marks as they see in different places as they write, draw and paint.
- Use some clear, identifiable letters and words to communicate.
- Continue to use some number names accurately in play and show interest in numerals in the environment.
- Recite numbers and represent them using fingers and marks on paper.
- Match numerals to quantity.
- Compare sizes – use longer/shorter.
Shape, Space & Measures
- Use of positional language next to, behind.
- To talk about the shapes of everyday objects eg., round and tall.
- Continue to recognise the names for solid 2D shapes and some 3D shapes.
- Saying when they have the same number.
- Separate groups of three/four objects in different ways, beginning to recognise that the total is the same.
Our work is also linked with our topic, which is:-
Under this topic we will be covering different themes in detail:-
Growing things inside/outside Nursery i.e., cress, tomatoes, beans and sweet peas – learning to nurture and care.
- Mathematics – we will be learning more about 2D/3D shapes. Looking at shapes in our environment. Using and applying numbers and shapes in everyday experiences. We will also be comparing and ordering sizes of plants and animals.
- Understanding the World – We will be finding out about ‘The Natural World’ and ‘Where We Live’.
- Literacy – we will have a cooking session area inside and a garden centre and cafe outside. We will continue to learn the sounds of letters of the alphabet, segmenting and blending familiar words. Reading books will be changed every day.
- In Science - we are learning about Growth & Change so will be planting seeds and watching them grow and also looking at our baby pictures to 4 years old to see timeline and changes in us as we grow.
- Mini beasts – discovery and study. We will be looking for and identifying mini beasts and learning about their habitats in the Science area at the back of the Nursery and around the school.
- Stories linked to our topic – “Peace at Last”, ‘Monster Net’ ‘Jigarees’, ‘Monster’s Party’, ’Whatever Next!’, ‘Here come the Aliens’, ‘Jasper’s Beanstalk’, ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’, ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’. ‘The Crunching, Munching Caterpillar’, “The Enormous Turnip”.
- Growth and change of the children - looking at their pictures birth to 4 years.
- We will continue to look at changes in the environment from winter to spring and summer by taking a nature walk around the school grounds and learning poems, songs and stories to do with the ‘Weather & Environment’.
P.E. is on Tuesday. The children will be learning how to use the apparatus equipment safely and they will observe the effect of the activities on their bodies. It is really important that you ensure your child is wearing plimsolls/trainers on these days or socks and shoes that they can independently remove and put back on. It would also be helpful if they wore jogging bottoms on these P.E. days.
The children will independently use programmable toys like I pads, microphones, recording pads, computers, bee bots and cameras independently to perform simple functions and interact with age appropriate software and technology.
The children will be learning different songs from other countries, as well as nursery rhymes.
Your child will be cooking and as the cost of ingredients can be quite expensive, we would like you to donate £2.00 per term towards this. We think the children benefit greatly from taking part in cooking activities, as many areas of the curriculum can be included such as maths and language, talking about what ingredients they mixed, reading labels etc. They also have the opportunity to eat what they have prepared and they really enjoy this activity. However, in order to make cooking a success, we really need to have the support of all the parents. Last term we made caterpillar fruit kebabs and rice crispy cakes with the money given by some parents. Thank you.
Media & Materials
The children will continue to explore and use different media and materials. They will explore how sound can be changed during music lessons. They will also explore the use of different materials using various construction toys and materials that they have gathered from their seasonal walkabouts in the Nursery area.
All children in the Nursery are entitled to free milk and free fruit. Please ensure your child brings a bottle of water to Nursery every day. We will link this to healthy eating and looking after their teeth.
During the summer term, please remember that the sun’s rays can be extremely powerful and harmful to children as well as adults. Please put sunblock on your child before coming to school and provide him/her with a cap or hat to wear outside in the playground. Footwear should be sensible and sandals are permitted, but please no open-toe sandals or shoes without any back support or with heels.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Ms R Hirani-Sheth