School Meals, Packed Lunches & Snacks
At Northview we work very closely with our school meals provider to ensure that all the food, which is cooked on our premises, is of a high quality. We offer a healthy, balanced and tasty 3-choice menu, which includes fresh food made from scratch.
Children are provided with:
- 2 course meal
- 2 choices of vegetables
- up to 6 salad choices
- crusty wholemeal bread
- a drink
There is always a vegetarian option available and our meat is Halal.
Our school meals, cooked on our premises, are of a high quality. They do not use:
- Genetically modified ingredients
- Food containing artificial additives or colourings
- Salt or saturated fats
Please click here to view the School Food Standards Guidance
For those children who may suffer from food allergies/intolerances, special diets are available on medical grounds. However, if such a diet is necessary a Hospital/Doctor’s report must be handed to the school office, who will inform our school meals provider.
We insist on excellent table manners so that everyone can enjoy this social time.
School meals currently cost £10.25 per week and must be paid in advance at the office on Monday mornings.
If you would like to come into school at any time to sample the food you would be most welcome.
Please click here to view the School Food Standard Agency's, "A practical guide for schools, their cooks and caterers".
For those children bringing packed lunches from home, please provide your child/ren with healthy and nutritious food. A leaflet is available for each family taking packed lunches, which gives excellent ideas for parents to provide a good balanced meal. No fizzy drinks please and only pure fruit juice or water should be provided.
Please note: Parents are requested to avoid chocolates, sweets, cakes, nuts and nut products such as peanut butter, due to possible allergic reactions of others.
Snacks & Drinks
We provide a tuck shop at school, supplying apples, pears, satsumas, grapes, bananas and raisins. For this reason, sugary snacks are not allowed in school. Please provide your child with a water bottle every day for use in the classroom.
Free School Meals
You can apply for Free School Meals for children who attend Brent Schools, either on-line at www.brent.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals or complete a paper copy which is available from Pupil and Parent Services, Chesterfield House, 9 Park Lane, Wembley, HA9 7RH. Forms are also available on request from the school office.
To be eligible for Free School Meals you must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Income Support (IS) or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- An income-related employment and support allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1991
- Child Tax Credit (Provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190.00 (as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) (TC 602 Final Award Notice - 2012/2013)
- If you receive Working Tax Credit (other than a four week run on period) your child is not eligible for a free school meal).
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Children who receive IS or IBJSA in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals
You must provide your:
- NI and NASS number and DOB in order to check your eligibility with the Department of Education, Eligibility Check Service (DfE ECS).
- Proof of Child Benefit must be provided if this is your first application.
- Eligibility for Free School Meals will not be backdated, so please ensure you apply before term starts in September.